Monday, February 4, 2008

What I learned by talking on CBC radio today...

One thing I 'realize' on a daily basis is this: BE ON TIME CLAUDIA! I go through life being chronically late Claudia - and everytime my intentions are good, ie: gonna be on time this time... But no, I was late for my interview - the stress in my belly is never worth it - they ended up switching my slot with Alvina Ruprecht, a local theatre reviewer. Prior to leaving this morning, I started to write into Journal #5 (to be left at CBC) and got so engrossed in it that I forgot about the time and the commitment I had for 8:00am...Claudia, Claudia, Claudia, when will you ever learn?! Seriously. This has got to stop. Then of course, I'm on the Queensway in rush hour traffic with a 'donut' tire that doesn't even allow me to drive faster than 100km/hr.
Uck...Then I parked the car, no problems there...until I get onto Queen St. - where is the building? I'm on foot, walking up and down Queen, helpful pedestrians directing me in opposite directions...I'm breathing heavy, I don't have their phone number, feeling like a shmuck (what does this mean exactly) and finally... I see it. Sigh. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe....
The interview itself was fine, my voice had no sign of the previous anxiety, but after all was said and done, I wished that I would have said more. When the host asked me about the purpose of the journal, I didn't mention an important point: I want to make the world a better place, one journal at a time. We have something to learn from every person who we encounter, every experience, no matter how small, that we have, every success, every failure. Writing is therapeutic. We start to write and what comes out is always a surprise. I learn something about myself everytime, whether or not I know it at the time or not. Thank you for reading, thank you for writing. Life is a gift. We can share it with one another. Love, Claudia :)

PS: I left the 5th Journal in a gift bag in the studio where I had my interview, a few minutes after I left, Al called to tell me I forgot something...ha, ha...he didn't open it. I told him that was done on purpose...'Oh, well you should tell us these things.' No I shouldn't! I suggested he open it...reaction: 'Oh, I see, I'll pass this on to Karla.' Funny. He could have read it...but...the individual's hand that the journal ends up in, is the one who is supposed to get it.

PPS: Control is a bad word.

2 comments:

Travelling Journals said...

If you have ever felt self-doubt about being a 'good' writer, actor, singer, painter, artist -- human being...read 'The War of Art' by Steven Pressfield - this book teaches me something new everytime I pick it up.

Cuppa said...

Good morning. I heard your interview on CBC this morning and am hooked. I will be following along on this most delightful journey of the journals.

What a great idea!